Gynecologists are doctors who specialize in women’s health, with a focus on the female reproductive system. They deal with various issues — including pregnancy and childbirth, menstruation and fertility issues, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), hormone disorders, and obstetrics.
Some women prefer seeing a gynecologist rather than a doctor for general health issues. They can then refer patients to other specialists as needed.
We’ll explain more about gynecologists and the treatments gynecology doctors in McKinney, TX, can offer.
What is a gynecologist?
Gynecology doctors in McKinney, TX, treat patients with female reproductive organs. To become a gynecologist, a person must train as a doctor for four years and then specialize for another four years in obstetrics and gynecology. They will then need to pass an examination that will allow them to be certified and registered.
What can gynecology doctors treat?
Conditions that gynecologists commonly treat include:
- Issues related to pregnancy, fertility, menstruation, and menopause
- Family planning, including contraception, sterilization, and abortion
- Problems with tissues that support the pelvic organs
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Benign conditions of the reproductive tract, like ovarian cysts, fibroids, breast disorders, and other non-cancerous changes
- Cancers of the reproductive tract and the breasts
- Sexual dysfunction
Other treatments offered by gynecology doctors
Gynecology doctors in McKinney, TX, may offer both gynecological and general health care. This could include treating headaches, back pain, mood changes, and acne.
They may also treat:
- Psychiatric conditions
- Cardiovascular disease
- Thyroid disorders
When can you visit a gynecology doctor?
Gynecology doctors can treat girls or women of any age. However, it’s recommended that you start visiting a gynecologist from the age of 13 years onwards. Building a relationship with the doctor enables young women to be more comfortable asking questions about menstruation and sexuality.
It also helps the doctor guide a women’s overall health and welfare in the long term — through counseling on important health and lifestyle issues.
What to expect when visiting a gynecology doctor
Your visit to the gynecologist will depend on the reason for your visit and your situation. If it’s your first visit, you can expect to chat with your doctor, get some general health information, and find out what to expect for future visits.
If you visit your gynecologist, keep in mind:
- Giving your gynecologist an honest account of your health concerns and lifestyle can help them understand your situation and enable them to help you more.
- You do not need to wax or shave before your visit.
- If you have your period when your appointment is scheduled, you can still go ahead with the visit. But you may want to postpone unless you need to see the gynecologist urgently.
- Avoid sexual activity or use tampons for two days before a gynecological examination.
You can have someone with you during your visit, either in the room or the waiting room.
Contact Comprehensive OB/GYN to learn more about available treatments.
At Comprehensive OB/GYN, we’re dedicated to women’s wellness. If you’re experiencing issues with your vaginal health, such as incontinence and pain during sex, we can help. When you meet with one of our board-certified gynecologists, they’ll review non-surgical treatment options.
You get expert advice to select the ideal vaginal rejuvenation treatment for your symptoms and needs. We provide a full range of women’s healthcare in McKinney, from yearly gynecological exams to high-risk pregnancies.
Make an appointment with Comprehensive OB/GYN for compassionate women’s healthcare.